Below you will find a range of presentation and text resources that are free to download for educational use. They are aimed at young people in classrooms, youth-work settings and community spaces but we encourage everyone to access them to learn more about Arthur’s achievements and the wider context of his story.
The Arthur Wharton Story – This is our booklet (simplified for print) aimed at teachers and young people detailing Arthur’s story.
Arthur’s story in sections:
- The Forgotten Pioneer
- Background and early years
- Arthur the Runner
- Arthur the Footballer
- Arthur the Cricketer
- Perceptions of Arthur
- Life in working class Victorian Britain
- Retirement from sport
PowerPoint presentations and commentary notes
- Teachers notes on PowerPoint presentations please read before considering how to use the presentations
- The Arthur Wharton Story Presentation| The Arthur Wharton Story Commentary – This presentation details Arthur’s life and achievements
- Arthur Racism and Sport Presentation | Arthur, Racism and Sport Commentary– This presentation looks at Scientific Racism (the prevailing belief in Victorian times) and Arthur’s experiences of it through sport
- Arthur, Sport and Class Presentation | Arthur, Sport and Class Commentary – This is a presentation looking at Arthur’s experience of becoming a working-class sportsman and how class affected his life and experiences.
- Sporting Pioneers for Change Presentation | Sporting Pioneers for Change Commentary – This presentation looks at the concept of the pioneer in relation to sport and discrimination and highlights several pioneers, including Arthur, who have made a difference through sport.
- Rotherham Young Writers poems
- Flash Mob Poets
- Arthur Wharton poems by Hexthorpe Primary School
- Arthur Wharton Poetry by David Urion
- Arthur Wharton Poetry by Alec Williams
- Arthur Wharton Poetry by Ralph Hancock
In addition to our online resources, FURD also has a physical exhibition package available to loan for a small cost. The package includes:
- 12 large foam-backed graphic and text panels including a detailed timeline of Arthur’s life
- An eye-catching roller-banner stand
- Ten Full-Colour Booklets of Arthur’s Story (additional copies can be purchased separately)
- Ten copies of the 16-page comic, ‘Arthur Wharton, Victorian Sporting Superstar’, illustrated by Archie Birch (additional copies can be purchased separately, see below)
We are aware that community groups will be operating on small budgets, so to discuss particular needs further, contact email@example.com.
Victorian Sporting Superstar: 16-page full-colour comic book
This beautifully illustrated comic book, brings The Arthur Wharton Story to life in full-colour comic format. Price £2 (discounts available on multiple copies). Order from firstname.lastname@example.org. Early reviews:
“Brilliant! I’m sure it will go down very well with students and everybody else who sees it and uses it.” (Heritage Lottery)
“Really informative!!!” (Leon Mann, Kick It Out/BBC)
“Really really good and will prove a great tool in spreading the word to young people.” (Andy Bell, BBC Tyne Tees)
Click here to see inside.
The Arthur Wharton Archive at FURD
FURD also has an in-house resource centre with an extensive archive of articles, notes and references to Arthur Wharton. Contact email@example.com if you wish to access this material.